Clothing and footwear
When we talk with people with lipoedema, one of the main problems we hear about is difficulties in finding clothing and footwear to fit. Sadly, many clothing lines do not account for our body shape. Many of us need plus sizes but often the arms are too tight and the waist too loose if the item fits our backsides.
Below are a few tips:
- Take waistbands in; if there cannot be seen, this can be a simple tuck to both sides of the band rather than a fancy alteration
- Elasticated waistbands are more giving
- Know your body shape- there is a good guide on shapes
- Flared trousers and jeans help to balance out a larger ‘bum’
- Wide legged trousers are a great staple for work
- Maxi and midi dresses can great for covering up our legs
- A-line dresses accentuate smaller waists
- A line jackets often work to accentuate the waist
- Embroidered, printed, and embellished tops draw the eye upwards’
- Dropped shoulder tops often have wider arms
- Use colour – find one that brightens your face or mood and wear it
- Use scarves and big funky jewellery to draw the eye to your face.
Where can I find clothes that are suitable for someone with lipoedema?
Here are some suggestions where you can purchase clothes that fit our bodies.
Much of the information here has come from our Talk Lipoedema support pages.
We do not recommend or endorse any suppliers. Remember that EU online stores now ship goods leaving the import tax to be paid by the purchaser - beware!
- Yours Clothing
- Peter Hahn
- Evans UK
- George at Asda
- Hearts and Roses London
- ASOS Curve
- River Island Curve
- Marks and Spencer
- JD Williams
- Box 2
- Ulla Popken
- Simply Be
- Universal Standard
- The Big Bloomers Company
- Seasalt Cornwall
- M & Co
- The Global Mandala Clothing Co
- Roman Curve
- Phase Eight
- Luna Largo (Germany)
- Snag Tights
- Lucy Locket Loves
- BeKeane (Australian)
- SUB Compression
- Solidea Silver Wave
Where do I find shoes to fit?
- Hotter Shoes
Where do I find socks to fit?
- Norfolk Socks
- Sock Shop
- Compression Sock Shop
- Softtop Socks
Where do I find wellies to fit?
- The Wide Welly Company
- JD Williams